Road & Bridge History
The Road & Bridge County shop was originally located at the County fairgrounds near the old infirmary. That building was destroyed by a fire July 7, 1942. Practically all of the County road equipment was also destroyed in this fire. At that time, during WWII, the County chose to lease a building. When they were notified that the lease was about to expire and would not be renewed, the County had to send a proposal to the War Production
Board to have them grant permission for Construction. The Conservation Order L-41 (a) 1075.1 “limits construction. It is necessary in order to conserve materials, construction equipment, labor and transportation”. April 23, 1945 Bannock County wrote to the Board to request permission
to construct a new facility and three days later they received an application that had to be filled out giving a complete picture of the need and actual necessity of the proposed construction. It was also required to return a copy of the eviction notice form the building owner of the leased facility.
The War Production Board granted the County permission and the official open house was October 26, 1946.
In 1977 the City of Pocatello informed the County that the property located at 1121 South Second Avenue was in poor condition and was therefore subject to the Uniform Code for Abatement of Dangerous Buildings. The structure was considered unsafe for occupancy without a great deal of repair work. It was at this time that the County proposed the purchase and construction of the building located at 5500 South Fifth Avenue, Pocatello. This picture is of the facility as it stands today. There have been additions made to both the building and the grounds since the original construction.