Bannock County Planning & Development Services
- All inspections must be scheduled 24 hours in advance.
- Inspections are available during regular business hours, Monday-Friday 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM.
- All projects must display the building permit number via sign that is visible from the public right-of-way.
- No work may be performed, including excavation and grading, until permits have been issued. Work performed prior to the issuance of a permit may result in a citation and/or additional fees.
|SEISMIC DESIGN CATEGORY||Do|
|WIND||90 mph - 3 second gust / 115 mph - ultimate|
|FROST DEPTH||36 inches|
|SNOW ROOF LOADS||
Dependent on Elevation (below)
|Elevation||Roof Live Load||Ground Snow Load|
|Below 4600 feet||35 PSF||44 PSF|
|4600-4999 feet||40 PSF||50 PSF|
|5000-5399 feet||50 PSF||63 PSF|
|5400-5799 feet||60 PSF||75 PSF|
|5800-5999 feet||70 PSF||88 PSF|
|6000-6399 feet||80 PSF||100 PSF|
|6400-6799 feet||90 PSF||113 PSF|
|Above 6800||100 PSF||125 PSF|
Please call 208-236-7230 to request an inspection.
A permit must be issued and active before an inspection can be requested. Due to time constraints, a 24 hour notice is required to be scheduled. Requests made after hours will be processed the following business day. Inspections are available during normal business hours, Monday-Friday between 8:00 AM - 5:00 PM, exceptions may apply by appointment only. The office is closed during all federal holidays. Please note we no longer accept requests for specific inspection times; please consider this change when scheduling future inspections.
In order to obtain a building permit, a complete building permit application must be filled out and submitted to our office with supporting documents. The permit goes through multiple reviews to ensure the property and structure meet the minimum requirements set out in the Planning Ordinance and Building Ordinance.Once the reviews are complete the permit will be emailed to the applicant and if needed, an address plaque will be made and issued.
The complete process from the time we receive the complete application and supporting documents can take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks depending on the current workload. Workloads tend to be heavier during the summer and fall seasons due to an increase in construction activity so please plan for this time that may delay construction.
Thermal Envelope Requirements
Building Permit Exemptions
Other Exempt Structures:
- Flag poles
- Fences 7 feet high or less
- Retaining walls 4 feet or less (measured from bottom of footing to top of wall)
- Playground equipment
- Detached decks under 200 square feet and less than 30 inches above grade
- Swimming pools under 5000 gallons and less than 48 inches deep
Always needs a building permit:
- Habitable space (space for eating, drinking, sleeping)
- Communication tower
- Photovoltaic System
Important Contact Information
Wells & Water Rights - Idaho Water Resources. (208) 525-7161
Septic Permits - Southeastern Idaho Public Health, Ken Keller. (208) 239-5276
Plumbing, Electrical, & HVAC Permits - Idaho Division of Building Safety.
Licensing, Permits, & Inspection Support - (800) 955-3044
Inspection Requests - (800) 839-9239
Arimo, Derald Armstrong (208) 254-9214
Downey, Chris Sorensen (208) 705-8592 or (208) 897-5083
Jackson Creek, Johnny Ketner (208) 220-2749
Lava Rural, Kirk Valentine (208) 251-8959
North Bannock, Chief Farnsworth (208) 252-5048
Land not within Fire District, Merlin Miller (208) 237-3212
McCammon, Richard Pierson (208) 251-2683
Pocatello Valley, Kevin Spencer (208) 232-8215 or
Karen Aguilar (208) 775-3581