Live Here. Play Here. Thrive Here.


624 East Center
Pocatello, ID 83201

Come On In!

Mon – Fri: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Closed Saturday & Sunday




Open Burn Ban Begins July 15th for Bannock County Wildland-Urban Interface Areas

by | Jul 11, 2023 | Commissioner Press Releases, Highlights, Newsroom

Starting July 15, a ban on certain types of fires will be in place for all of Bannock County: Inkom, Arimo, Downey, McCammon, Lava, Pocatello Valley, Chubbuck, Pocatello, and North Bannock Fire District. Many of the fire officials from the municipalities and fire districts throughout Bannock County worked together to create a unified burn ban with the intent of reducing the risk of wildfires.

 No open burning or fireworks are allowed within the Wildland-Urban Interface Areas of Bannock County because of anticipated fire danger. The use of commercial gas fire pits and appliances designed for food prep, such as gas grills and/or charcoal briquettes, are exempted from the ban when used according to the manufacturer’s instructions.

Campfires and recreational fires are allowed in developed campgrounds and private residences, provided they comply with the following limitations: Contained within a pit or ring, not to exceed 3 feet in diameter, 3 feet flame height, and 25 feet from structures or ignitable objects and should be screened to eliminate airborne embers.

Exception:  No campfires or recreational fires will be allowed in the high wildland fire hazard areas in the Johnny Creek and Pocatello Creek areas of the City of Pocatello.  A map of these areas can be found at:

“The wet spring has brought an increase in light fuels in our area. As it dries out, these light fuels can lead to increased fire danger and fast fire growth. We appreciate people being cautious in their use of fire and complying with the burn ban.”  Said Pocatello Fire Marshall Nick Christensen.

The ban will remain in place until October 1 or until conditions allow it to be lifted.

Residents with questions about the burn ban or fireworks are encouraged to contact their local fire department/district.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email