Portneuf Pollution Prevention (P3) for Homeowners
Be part of Portneuf Pollution Prevention (P3). By using less harmful substances, reducing waste and conserving energy and water, each of us can avoid generating pollution that would other wise require treatment, disposal, or recycling. Our goal is to promote Portneuf Pollution Prevention practices that help protect human health, strengthen our economic well-being, and preserve our local environment.
Some Pollution Prevention practices for the homeowner:
- Dispose of your expired or unwanted household hazardous products (paints, lawn and garden chemicals, antifreeze, oil, fuel) at the Bannock County household hazardous waste collection events. Events are every first Saturday of the month from April through October. Do not flush, bury, or pour these products!
- Dispose of your expired or unwanted prescription medication at the Pocatello Police Department, Chubbuck Police Department, or the Bannock County Sheriff’s Department. Do not flush your meds!
- Buy less-toxic or non-toxic supplies.
- Water your lawn ONLY in the evening or early morning to minimize evaporation.
- Check your toilet for “silent” leaks by placing a little food coloring in the tank to see if it leaks into the bowl.
- Turn off lights when leaving a room to save energy and money.
- Use a microwave or barbecue grill instead of a stove; microwaves use 40% less electricity then a stove.
- Use compact fluorescent light bulbs rather than incandescent bulbs (compact fluorescent bulbs use ¼ the energy, give off the same amount of light, and last 10 times longer).
- Use a durable canvas grocery bag; REUSE is better than RECYCLYING.
- Buy products that contain recycled materials.
- Avoid air pollution by minimizing idling time; participate in the Clean Air Zone by turning your engine OFF!