Live Here. Play Here. Thrive Here.


624 East Center
Pocatello, ID 83201

Come On In!

Mon – Fri: 8:00AM – 5:00PM
Closed Saturday & Sunday




Renew or replace your ID and more online here.


Visit the Sheriff’s Office web page.


View press releases from the Sheriff’s Office here.


For vehicle registration and license plates, click here.

Driver’s License Divison


*You must call to make an appointment.


5800 S. 5th Avenue
Pocatello, ID 83204
*Located at the Sheriff’s Office
Map it



Monday – Thursday
7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
*We stop testing at 4:00 p.m.
Closed Fridays and all federal holidays.
Driver’s License Frequently Asked Questions

How much does it cost to renew a driver’s license?

4- years —– $30.00
8- years——$55.00
18 yr old—–$25.00

What hours are you open?
Monday thru Thursday 7:00 am to 6:00 pm (We stop testing at 4 pm)

How much does the test cost?
1st time testing is: $9.50 for the written (Class D)
$17.50 for the road test (Class D)

My license is suspended, what do I do to reinstate?
My drivers license?
Call Boise at 208-334-8735

What do out-of-staters need to switch their licenses?
They need to bring in their out of state driver’s license and their proof of residency.
(Proof of residency is power bill, phone bill, water bill, electric bill, or rental agreement)

What do I need for drivers training?
You have to take drivers training between the ages of 14 1/2 and 17.
You will need the following items for your driver’s training permit.

  1. Original birth certificate.
  2. Verification of compliance (this is a letter you get from your school office)
  3. Photo id (yearbook, or school activity card or passport)
  4. Social security number
  5. Parent listed on the birth certificate must come in to obtain the permit with you, with their identification or driver’s license.

If I’m seventeen do I have to take Drivers training?
You can come in with the same documents needed for  drivers training and take a written test. Then you have two options.
A. Do a road test and get your license issued.
B. Purchase a permit which allows someone 18 or older, who has an Idaho driver’s license to teach you how to drive. This permit is good for six months, anytime within that six months you do a road test and come back to our office where we will issue an Idaho driver’s license.

What is needed for foreign visitors to obtain an Idaho license or ID card?
If you have:
Permanent resident card:
You need your card and your residency, and your  social security number.
Passport with United States visa:
You need your passport and your social security number (or a denial letter from the social security office) and your proof of residency.
 If you are a student:
Passport, social security card (or denial letter from social security office)
I-20, I-94, proof of residency. (If your I-20 has not been stamped you must get a letter from the school)

Helpful Information and Links


Bannock County Driver’s License Division

5800 S. 5th Avenue
Pocatello, Idaho 83204
Map it

Idaho Transportation Department

Your complete source for all driving, travel, business information and more for the State of Idaho.

Bannock County Courthouse

624 East Center
Pocatello, Idaho 83201

Live Here. Play Here. Thrive Here.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Website Feedback