Sixth Judicial District Guardianship and Conservatorship Monitoring Program

Sandra E. Thoen, B.S. Health Care Administration

Guardianship and Conservatorship Monitoring Coordinator 


What is a Guardian? 

A Guardian is a court-appointed person responsible for the care, custody, and control of the PERSON under guardianship on a temporary or permanent basis.

What is a Conservator? 

A Conservator is a person appointed by a probate court to manage the ESTATE of the person under conservatorship on a temporary and a permanent basis.

What is the Guardianship/Conservatorship Monitoring Program? The overall goal of court monitoring is to help ensure: (1) persons under guardianship or conservatorship are protected against abuse, neglect, or exploitation; (2) that appointed persons understand and fulfill their duties and responsibilities both prior to and during their appointment; (3) implementation of streamlined policies, procedures, and forms; and (4) a third party review system for monitoring the care of persons under protective proceedings.  It is the duty of the GCMP to oversee guardianship and/or conservatorship cases that have been established by the Court and track the well-being of the vulnerable person through reporting requirements and monitoring.

Annual Reporting and Where to Get The Form Templates

All Guardians and Conservators are to complete Guardian's Status Reports and Conservator's Accounting Reports every year.  Reports are due on the anniversay date of your appointment as Guardian and/or Conservator. 


If your appointment date was January 2, 2018,  your reports are due January 2, 2019, and on January 2 every year thereafter.

You may obtain Annual Report Templates at:


*You may also file a formal complaint regarding a Guardianship or Conservatorship at


  • FREE Guardianship and Conservatorship Workshop.  Date to be determined.  Please call Sandra Thoen for more information.
  • 1:1 Q/A Sessions Available.  Sandra Thoen cannot give legal or fiscal advice, but may provide additonal information and resources to assist you to successfully fulfill your duties as a Guardian and Conservator. Please call Sandra to make an appointment.
  • Managing Someone Else's Money.  Help For Court-Appointed Conservators in Idaho   Go to the upper right corner of webpage:  choose Resources> drop to Publications>scroll down to Guardianship and Conservatorship
    • A manual created for the purpose of assisting Conservators to understand their duties and responsibilities.
    • Expansive listing of resources, including Government and State agencies replete with contact information.
      • Social Security
      • Railroad Retirement Board
      • Office of Personnel Management
      • Veteran's Administration, etc.
  • Idaho Department of Health and Welfare
    • Offers many programs and services for children and families.
  • Area V Agency on Aging:
    • Adult Protective Services
    • Ombudsman
    • Meals on Wheels
    • Respite Care
    • Powerful Tools for Caregivers (Caregiver Support Group)
    • Community Resource Directory
  • Idaho Commission on Aging:
  • Senior Health Insurance Benefits Advisor (SHIBA):
    • Information about Medicare
      • Medicare A, B, and D
      • Medicare Advantage Plans
  • *211 Idaho Care Line
    • Childcare
    • Resources
    • Caregivers
    • Navigation
  • Southeast Idaho Public Health
    • Fluoride Clinic
    • WIC
    • Immunizations
    • Clinical Services 

Legal Advice

The Guardianship and Conservatorship Monitoring Coordinator will not offer legal advice.

If you have legal questions, we offer a free Attorney Workshop on the 2nd Wednesday of each month beginning promptly @ 2:00 pm in room 312 at the Bannock County Courthouse.If your legal needs are urgent, you may seek advice by contacting the Idaho State Bar at (208) 334-4500 or online at and utilize the Lawyer Referral Services link.

NOTICE:  Family Court Services does not represent parties or any of their interests.  While confidentiality practices concerning anything discussed are utilized, it is not guaranteed.  Family Court Services may provide services to the opposing party/ies (other person/s involved in the same case).  Family Court Services can only give information; not interpretations of laws or strategies for any case.  If seeking representation, a confidential consultation, or legal advice, you will have to consult with a private attorney.

DISCLAIMER: Professionals listed are not endorsed by Family Court Services, the Idaho Supreme Court, or Bannock County. This list is not complete nor exhaustive.

Print Friendly, PDF & Email